[PLUG] [Speakers] Re: [pdxpug] PostgreSQL Conference

Selena Deckelmann selenamarie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 15:40:27 UTC 2007

On 10/15/07, Robert Treat <xzilla at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Monday 15 October 2007 13:15, Mark Wong wrote:
> > On 10/12/07, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie at gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://pdxgroups.pbwiki.com/PostgreSQL%20Conference%202007%20-%20Friday%20m
> >eetup
> >
> > > PostgreSQL Conference Fall 2007 - Friday Meetup
> >
> > For those who can only take public transportation, is the Doug Fir
> > easy enough to get to?  It is also outside fareless square.
> >

> Easy enough? I walked there from the convention center during OSCon, and then
> walked up to the double tree after dinner.  It wasn't a short walk, but
> that's why I pack crocs I guess :-)

Crocs are sort of good in the rain :)  It will most likely be raining
or drizzling.

All bus/max/streetcar rides are 1.75.  Cabs are relatively cheap
compared to some cities (about $10 or less to get from anywhere below
to a hotel downtown).

Here's my assessment of the options:
Paddy's has a great set of tables in the middle and the back that are
good for groups. Full, very very good bar, excellent microbrews, very
good pub food. Possible pub-crawl to another Irish pub down the street
for late-night go-getters. Fareless square. (Paddy's is tough to park
near - if you're driving, you'll want to go to the nearest Smart
Park.)

Lucky Lab is full of long tables that are good for groups. Food isn't
perfect - it is cheap, with vegetarian options and many types of beer.
Cheapest place in the group, but still nice. It's a neighborhood
hangout. It would be very easy to initiate an epic pub crawl from
there - for those feeling adventurous. Not Fareless square - but easy
few block walk to the Street Car or a little further (~1mi) to the Max
(which is in the fareless square).

The Side Door is the smallest place, but they are awesome, have a few
big tables, and I've been there a lot  over the past couple of weeks.
Excellent food - includes some pasta dishes that are very good -
particularly for a pub! Small but good selection of beers/wine.  Not
Fareless square (but on a very major bus route!).

The Doug Fir is the Doug Fir :)  Great ambiance, good food, amazing
brownie/icecream dessert thing. Full bar. Seating groups there is
challenging (but so far not too many RSVPs), unless we head down to
the bar, which looks like has a series of garage pop bands playing and
will cost $10 (cheap for a good show!). Not Fareless (but on a major
bus route!).

I'm partial to Paddy's. I think everyone who cares should just vote on
where they'd like to go, since the locals are being so shy.

Right now, we've got two votes for Paddy's, one for Doug Fir (I voted
for Robert), and one for the Side Door. See the website for my lo-tech
voting system.

http://pdxgroups.pbwiki.com/PostgreSQL%20Conference%202007%20-%20Friday%20meetup

We should choose by Thursday at noon so that folks can plan.

-selena