[PLUG] October 16: Gene Kim on Data Center Security

Hal Pomeranz hal at deer-run.com
Tue Oct 16 06:01:20 UTC 2007

> Tomorrow Is the October meeting of the Eugene IT Pro Forum! Presenting will
> be Gene Kim on data center security. We meet in the downstairs room at the
> Eugene City Brewery. Welcome and presentation to start at 6:30. Bring your
> friends! See http://itproforum.org for more!

Here's the complete announcement for those who are interested:

   Data Center Security:
   Resolving Core Conflicts Between IT Operations and IT Security
   6:30pm Tuesday, Oct 16th -- Eugene City Brewery (downstairs)

   Why does it seem that security and operations are so often at odds
   with each other?  After all, they both have the same objective to
   ensure that IT is helping the business meet its goals, effectively,
   efficiently and securely.  However, operations and security often have
   an adversarial relationship, each causing the other unplanned work or
   crises, sometimes undoing each others' work, and often unable to agree
   on priorities and perhaps even questioning the others' competence and
   "hidden agendas."  In this session, Gene Kim will share his most
   recent research on how to create a high performing data center with
   optimal security and operational efficiency.

   Gene Kim is the CTO and founder of Tripwire, Inc.  In 1992, he
   co-authored Tripwire while at Purdue University with Dr. Gene
   Spafford.  Since then, Tripwire has been adopted by more than 5,500
   enterprises worldwide.  Since 1999, he has been studying high
   performing IT operations and security organizations, which led Gene to
   co-found the IT Process Institute (ITPI) in 2004, an organization
   dedicated to research, benchmarking and developing prescriptive
   guidance for IT operations, security management, and auditors.  This
   same year Gene co-authored the "Visible Ops Handbook: Implementing
   ITIL in Four Practical And Auditable Steps" which has since sold over
   75,000 copies. And, he was a principal investigator on the IT Controls
   Performance Study project, completed in 2006.

Hal Pomeranz, Founder/CEO      Deer Run Associates      hal at deer-run.com
    Network Connectivity and Security, Systems Management, Training