[PLUG] Using Knoppix to burn data to DVD

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Oct 17 18:56:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:03:31 -0700
"Larry Brigman" <larry.brigman at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm not sure what "someone was in time to remount?" means. I tried
> > remounting /dev/hdc, but I can't open a terminal without the
> > Knoppix CD in the drive. This arrangement isn't working. There must
> > be a simpler way to do this. How do you use a live CD to burn data
> > to the same drive that the live CD is in?

> Use a LiveCD that loads the FS into ram so the drive is free for
> other things.

Thanks for the suggestion, although I already thought of that half an
hour ago. :)

Unfortunately, the only one I had handy was a Fedora 7 Test4 CD. It
works fine, except it doesn't come with K3b or such. It does seem to
grok Nautilus' CD burning tool. However, I can't get it to work. After
which subsequently appeared on the desktop. I mounted /dev/hda2, after
figuring out that Fedora decided it should be called /dev/sda2. Then I
dragged some folders from ~/ to the desktop icon. That seemed to get
them into the Nautilus Burn CD folder. However the "Write to Disk"
button just pops up a window where everything is grayed out. Thinking
that the DVD might not be mounted I spent the last 15 minutes trying to
figure out what Fedora calls it so I can mount it. I tried
"cat /proc/devices" but that doesn't list it. Nor does /etc/fstab. And
I already know it's not /dev/hdc or /dev/sdc. Sheesh.

Eventually the Nautilus burner utility stopped responding, although I
could still eject the DVD. I rebooted Fedora and tried again, but this
time it locked up on me. So much for Fedora. Maybe I should try
something else that will run in RAM. Does anyone have any suggestions
for live CDs that will run in RAM, besides Fedora?