[PLUG] Busted computer

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Thu Oct 18 03:58:45 UTC 2007

>> If you get another one, please consider donating your cast off
>> laptop to PTP.  We are in need of portable computing devices for
>> node diagnostics and repair.  We can also use them *as* access
>> points.  If we can't use them, they'll go to Free Geek.

John> I've been thinking of such things, but it will be a while before
John> I get a new computer and am ready to part with this one. Still,
John> consider yourself on my list.

Thanks!

John> I saw your note this morning, but have been too busy all day to
John> try it. I just did and it didn't work. I still get the kernel
John> panic:

That sort of sounds like the initrd (a kind of compressed image that
becomes a ramdisk to help loading device drivers necessary for
booting up) may be damaged or missing.

Maybe try copying a matching kernel/initrd from somewhere else and try
booting them?

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net