[PLUG] SuSE 10.1 YaST Online Update broke stuff

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Oct 18 18:06:43 UTC 2007

The other day I was wandering around my system looking for how to
upgrade Flash and Java for Firefox on my system. I discovered that I
hadn't run Online Update in some time. So, I ran it. When it was
finished, I rebooted, since it told me that I had some kernel updates
and a reboot would be needed for them to be used.

OK. No problem. I rebooted. The system came up in text mode with an
error message that said something to the effect that X couldn't find any
screens, or something like that. I Googled around a bit and found the
instructions for running tiny-nvidia-installer. That worked.

Today I tried to run VMWare Server, which worked fine recently. As I sit
here, I'm not sure if I tried to run it since the Online Update, but I
think I did. Is there a log file that would tell me the last time it ran?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens