[PLUG] SuSE 10.1 YaST Online Update broke stuff

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Oct 18 21:44:58 UTC 2007

Don J. wrote:

> For VMWare logs, try checking the /var/log, event viewer or what have
> you inside the VM you ran for startup messages/timestamps.

I found /var/log/vmware/vmware-serverd.log

The last entry is:

Oct 16 15:55:53: app| Shutting down vmserverd (0).

That time fits with when I shut down the system after running the upgrade.

There are 11 files with names similar to vmware-serverd-1.log, differing
only by the number after the dash, or having no number or dash. All of
those other files have date modified codes that are earlier than yesterday.

I also found
event-/var/lib/vmware/Virtual%20Machines/Windows%2098/Windows%2098.vmx.log

The last entry is:

<event

Is there a tool to convert that integer to something I can understand?

When I try to start vmware server now, I watch the blinking icon for a
minute or so, and then nothing happens. I tried that with top running in
a terminal window and didn't see anything related to vmware. I looked at
ps ax and didn't see anything related to vmware.

However, the date modified is 2007-10-09 15:36. There is one other
event... file, but it's date modified is October of 2006.

> And the thing with letting a distro update your kernel for you is that
> it typically won't keep track of any 3rd party modules you added
> yourself.

So I've noticed.

--
Regards,