[PLUG] Virtual Iron

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Thu Oct 18 22:26:43 UTC 2007

alan wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Robert Kopp wrote:
>
>> Recently hardware that is enhanced for virtualization, notably the AMD-V and Intel VT CPUs have emerged. Not all of it is expensive--a Pentium D 920 CPU is about $130 on Ebay.
>>
>> You can download securable.exe and execute it with WINE to see if you have these capabilities. I don't.
>>
>> Nevertheless, I use virtual machines, so this technology interests me. Does it enhance the performance of VM's a lot? If so, can someone suggest desktop PC's or components that have this capability?
>
> I plan on buying an AMD64 dual core machine in the next couple of months.
> I have yet to be able to figure out what of the AMD64 processors support
> the hardware virtualization.  (Hopefully it does since that is one of the
> main reasons I am buying a new machine.)

....For Intel....
# grep vmx /proc/cpuinfo

....For AMD....
# grep svm /proc/cpuinfo

Any AMD that is a 2200 series should have AMD-V.  I typically don't buy pentium
servers so don't know which Intel models support it.

----

I just checked my Lenovo T61, so here is one Intel that supports it. :)

model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7300  @ 2.00GHz

--
I'm just a packet pusher.