[PLUG] Virtual Iron

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 23:50:55 UTC 2007

# from alan
# on Thursday 18 October 2007 13:52:

>I plan on buying an AMD64 dual core machine in the next couple of
> months. I have yet to be able to figure out what of the AMD64
> processors support the hardware virtualization.

"In the next couple of months", you should be able to get a quad-core
opteron with virtualization support (given that they "became available"
almost a month ago.)

The trick is finding a motherboard or any sort of information about
them.  AMD seems to be doing a great job with press releases and
absolutely sucking at publishing clear and easily accessible technical
info (where said info can be easily correlated to a retail site from
which a customer could perhaps purchase one or more CPUs and a
motherboard.)  The press releases imply that I can easily get a
dual-socket motherboard for some quad-core opteron CPUs and have me 8
cores.  Google seems to think it is a unicorn though.  Links to
known-to-work-with-linux setups would be great.

Perhaps something with two x16 pci-express slots so that (several
hundred more dollars later) an argument with the nvidia driver and/or
X/beryl will answer whether or not 4-monitor xinerama with opengl is
finally a reality?

--Eric
--
hobgoblin n 1: (folklore) a small grotesque supernatural creature that
          makes trouble for human beings