[PLUG] Virtual Iron

Jason Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 05:35:23 UTC 2007

On 10/18/07, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Kris wrote:
>
> > I just checked my Lenovo T61, so here is one Intel that supports it. :)
> > model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7300  @ 2.00GHz
>
>   OK. My AMD64 Athlon X2 4800+ _does_ support virtualization. Thanks for
> providing the correct flag name, Kris.
>
>   Next: how to tell if the motherboard supports it? I've an Asus M2NPV-VM
> board. Do the last two letters stand for Virtual Machine?

I can't speak for AMD systems, but at least for Intel there is no
specific motherboard requirement for VMX.  You need a BIOS which does
not disable VMX, since the Intel implementation includes a lock bit,
typically used to provide a BIOS knob to enable/disable VMX
capabilities.  Other than that, you just need a CPU that supports it.

Note that the Wikipedia entry has a pretty good listing of CPUs
supporting both Intel and AMD extensions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization#Hardware_support

Jason