[PLUG] Virtual Iron

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Fri Oct 19 13:58:49 UTC 2007

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, m0gely wrote:
>
>> VM doesn't mean that.  I can't recall ATM, but I know VM is typically used
>> on most of their smaller footprint motherboards over the years.  I belive
>> the "M" is for Micro-ATX.  The V could be for onboard video.  I realize
>> this wouldn't be consistent designating across their line up but ASUS has
>> never been good about that and I've used them for years.
>
>    Oh. Well, anyway, it does support virtualization and that was the
> question. I could not care less what the letters mean on any system board's
> name, regardless of manufacturer. :-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

While we're on the subject, there are now quite a few different ways one
can virtualize. Does anyone know which ones even require this option and
what it does for them? As far as I know:

1. VMware Workstation 6 (Linux host) doesn't require it and may not even
use it.
2. Xen requires it only if you want to run unmodified kernels as guests,
and if you want to run Linux guests, the Xen-modified guest kernels have
higher performance than unmodified ones.
3. KVM requires it.

Anybody else know more/disagree, etc.?