[PLUG] Making RPMs (and DEBs?) from source tarballs

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Oct 19 22:32:17 UTC 2007

I am running a RHEL clone, and occasionally I download a source tarball
and compile and install it.  I would prefer to manage the new files
with RPM, so I would like to build an RPM, and install from that - if
it is easy.  Most source packages use GNU automake, with the usual
mantra "./configure, make, make install", so I expect there is an
automagic tool to build RPMs from such source packages (also DEBs
for our Ubuntu buddies).

Any suggested tools for the Compleat Idiott?

Keith