[PLUG] Clinic Heads Up

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Sat Oct 20 23:54:48 UTC 2007

On 10/20/07, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> Bill,
>
>    The laptop has a static IP address on the local network, and dhcpcd was
> not installed. I could not connect to the local network which it used to do
> when booted. I'll have dhcpcd installed before the clinic tomorrow.
>
> Rich

Rich,
That seems to be the holdup. From your description of the symptoms
this does not seem to be a wireless problem. I expect this would
happen with a wire also, but I don't think the 600e has built-in wired
so you can't test it.  Going into a coffee shop and connecting to some
random network you don't know what static ip address to choose or what
gateway to use, it helps to use dhcp.
I use this configuration in /etc/network/interfaces

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wireless-essid any

When I want to use the wireless I bring up the interface with
ifup wlan0

If there are competing wireless access points around I add another
interface for the one I want

iface belkin inet dhcp
        wireless-essid belkin54g

and bring up the interface with
ifup wlan0=belkin

There are fancier ways of doing this, but this works well for me.

Bill