[PLUG] interesting (painful) mystery

Kurt Sussman plug at merlot.com
Sun Oct 21 04:10:33 UTC 2007

I have a Dell C640, and it has run Linux all its life. It is currently
running Kubuntu 7.04 (partly because the upgrade to 7.10 fails).

For the last week, if I shut it down and restart it, I can't log in.
The 't' and 'y' keys don't work, the tab key doesn't work, and I can't
get uppercase to save my life (this is the one that prevents me from
logging in). All other keys seem to work fine.

If I boot a rescue disk and mount the root partition (this can be tricky
when the 't' is unavailable) and reboot, the keys are back to normal.
Originally I chrooted that partition and reset the passwords for my
account and root, but that turns out to be unnecessary; all it needs is
to be mounted.

I tried 'ls -lt /etc' and nothing stands out. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

--Kurt