[PLUG] interesting (painful) mystery

Kurt Sussman plug at merlot.com
Mon Oct 22 00:36:23 UTC 2007

Wil Cooley (wcooley at nakedape.cc) typed this ...
> On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 21:10 -0700, Kurt Sussman wrote:
>
> > For the last week, if I shut it down and restart it, I can't log in.
> > The 't' and 'y' keys don't work, the tab key doesn't work, and I can't
> > get uppercase to save my life (this is the one that prevents me from
> > logging in). All other keys seem to work fine.
>
> Does this happen only at the X login screen? Have you tried switching to
> a text-terminal (CTRL-ALT-F1) or booting into runlevel 3, which does not
> start X? (if using grub, edit the kernel line and add a '3' at the end)

I have tried a text login. Same results.

> Have you tried powering it down fully or just done warm reboots? Have
> you pulled the battery to make it (almost) really dead?

Yes, I have removed all power sources, several times. It makes no
difference.

> Have you tried an external, perhaps USB, keyboard?

I cannot imagine how a physical keyboard issue could be resolved by
mounting a disk partition. I have not tried another keyboard for this
reason. I guess the keyboard chip could be getting initialized
improperly, but that's still not a keyboard issue.

Thanks for the ideas; keep 'em coming!

--Kurt
    Merlot Research Group, Inc               http://www.merlot.com
    kls[at]merlot.com        GPG key 82505A74       GTalk: ratbelt