[PLUG] The ThinkPad 600E Wireless Saga -- Sorta' Resolved

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Oct 22 01:38:23 UTC 2007

   I know that folks have been waiting breathlessly for the next episode to
learn whether Lassie is able to drag Tommy out of the raging floodwaters
along the curb by grabbing his ear. So, without further ado, or ads from our
sponsors, here's tonight's episode ...

   Recently I bought a LinkSys WRT54GC mini-router. It accommodates wireless
and four wired connections to the 'Net. This evening I took it out and
plugged in the cat5 cable from our firewall/router to one of the ethernet
(not Internet) ports. Now, wireless connection from the ThinkPad works! And,
from the den in the back of the house, too.

   So, something must have gone bad with the LinkSys WAP that had been
working just fine until I changed distributions on the ThinkPad. I don't
know how to troubleshoot that unit, or if it's worth the effort. Perhaps the
most parsimonious solution is to buy another WRT54GC and use it locally.
Apparently I don't even need the additional, external antenna on it.

   Might be a coincidence that the hardware failed at the time of the
software upgrade, but that's apparently what happened.

   Thanks to everyone (Kurt, Russell, Keith, Bill) for ideas and direct help.

Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |         Accelerators(TM)