[PLUG] [ON topic security]

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Mon Oct 22 15:52:18 UTC 2007

Preliminary note: Security is very much ON-TOPIC here.

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 02:02:37PM -0700, drew wymore wrote:
> I was following the recent security thread and it got me wondering. What do
> other pluggers do to secure their systems? Is just upgraded packages as they
> come out enough for you? Do you have crazy IPTables rules, maybe snort,
> Bastille or Tripwire?

I'm lax.  I just use a distro that's recent enough that security patches
are kept current, and do an apt-get upgrade whenever I get around to it.
I use Ubuntu so there's no root password.  I try to make sure the rest
of the accounts have good passwords.

No firewall to speak of.  No snort or tripwire.  I should do all three,
just to keep in practice, but it seems like I only have time to work,
eat, sleep and do minimal husbandly duties.

> I'm a huge fan of LCAP http://www.securityfocus.com/tools/882 which I think
> I've mentioned here before briefly.

Looks very interesting!  It's a shame folks find SELinux so cumbersome.
It seems like a very valuable tool, if folks were used to using it.