[PLUG] interesting (painful) mystery

Kurt Sussman plug at merlot.com
Mon Oct 22 17:39:26 UTC 2007

alan (alan at clueserver.org) typed this ...
> I think everything defaults to the system keymap.  If that is bjorked,
> then the who system will display the same behavior.

But if the system keymap (or any other keymap) is hosed, wouldn't it
always be hosed? Why would that get better after mounting the root
partition?

> > Is the keymap loaded when the partition is mounted? That's when the
> > problem goes away, after I boot into other than the installed OS. I don't
> > think that's the case, so I haven't checked the keymap. I guess I
> > should, for completeness.
>
> If you load a different OS, it will have a different keymap.

Every OS I've booted in the last week has had the "missing 't'" problem
at one time or another, but not consistently. This suggests that the
keymap is not the problem, assuming that any live CD I booted does in
fact have a different keymap, and I think that's a very safe assumption.

For the record, I've tried the following live CDs:

xubuntu 7.04	- yes, this probably has the same keymap
DSL 3.4.4	- 2.4 kernel
CentOS 5 cd#1	- I expect RH uses a different keymap
'ESD'		- someone's custom rescue CD, slackware-based

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks.

--Kurt