[PLUG] Making RPMs (and DEBs?) from source tarballs

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 18:42:27 UTC 2007

On 10/19/07, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> I am running a RHEL clone, and occasionally I download a source tarball
> and compile and install it.  I would prefer to manage the new files
> with RPM, so I would like to build an RPM, and install from that - if
> it is easy.  Most source packages use GNU automake, with the usual
> mantra "./configure, make, make install", so I expect there is an
> automagic tool to build RPMs from such source packages (also DEBs
> for our Ubuntu buddies).
>
> Any suggested tools for the Compleat Idiott?

Fedora, in the rpmdevtools package, has a rpmdev-newspec program that
generates a spec file.  The default "minimal" template is suitable for
pakcages that do the configure; make; make install dance.  You get to
fill in the version, source files, requirements, and installed file
locations.  I think rpmdevtools is also available for Centos.

 - Ian