[PLUG] Thinkpad T61

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Oct 22 21:02:36 UTC 2007

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:52:22 -0700
Brent Jones <brent at servuhome.net> dijo:

> Quoting John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>:
>
> > I still have a few things to install and configure, but I'm loving my
> > new T61 with 64-bit Gutsy. If anyone is thinking of a new computer,
> > this is the one to get. Thanks to everyone at the Clinic for watching,
> > advising, suggesting and helping.

> I bought a T61 a few months ago, and have been enjoying it quite a
> lot. I dual boot XP and Ubuntu, use both a fair amount.
> Besides some minor issues in Ubuntu, everything works as it should,
> though the laptop does sometimes fail to come out of Standby mode in
> both Windows and Ubuntu.
> Haven't quite figured out why Standby is such an issue, IBM support
> wont help me since I removed Vista, sadly...

I have been reading about problems with the T61. You might find
something useful about suspend and resume here:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Ubuntu_Gutsy_Gibbon_on_a_T61p

The reason I have been reading about problems is that I spoke to soon
when I wrote the above. That is, I'm having problems with the video. I
posted about it on Ubuntu this morning, but haven't had a response yet:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3601701#post3601701

At the moment I am running at 1680 x 1050, but keeping it there is a
problem. Plus, the Preferences > Appearances window appears to let me
change the color of the desktop background, but when I click to change
it nothing happens. I'm stuck with Ubuntu default titty-pink-brown.
That might be a nice color in some contexts, but not on my desktop,
thank you.

If anyone here has a T61 with my video ["01:00.0 VGA compatible
controller: nVidia Corporation Quadro NVS 140M (rev a1)"], and if you
have it running reliably at 1680 x 1050, I'd appreciate a copy of your
xorg.conf file to compare to mine.