[PLUG] A Different Wireless Connection Question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Oct 22 23:00:21 UTC 2007

   Different portable, similar problem. My Sony is normally connected to the
local network via a cat5 cable on eth0. Since I got the ThinkPad working
with the LinkSys compact router, I decided to try the wireless card on the
Sony. It works at other locations, and it's worked here before. But, now
it's being recalcitrant.

   eth1 comes up when I boot with the wireless card inserted; I can also take
it out, plug in the cat5 cable, connect to the LAN, reverse the process and
the interface comes back up. iwconfig shows it running; iwconfig shows me
the specs on the access point, including the AP's MAC address and the link
quality of 225/0.

   However, 'host unreachable' when I try pinging another host.

   'route' (or netstat -r) shows me a localnet route for eth1, but there's no
default route. So I run 'route add default gw 192.168.55.4 eth1' and there's
a default route on that interface, too. Still can't ping.

   What have I missed here, or what step should I take to figure out why it's
not connecting? Obviously, /etc/resolv.conf is the same regardless of the
interface and connection via cat5 or air.

Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |         Accelerators(TM)