[PLUG] A Different Wireless Connection Question

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Oct 23 04:03:47 UTC 2007

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich> [...]  What have I missed here, or what step should I take to figure
Rich> out why it's not connecting? Obviously, /etc/resolv.conf is the
Rich> same regardless of the interface and connection via cat5 or air.

Call me a genius if you want.  I won't argue.  But here is your
problem.  You have two interfaces on the same network.  Your packets
are going out the wrong one.  Anyway, that's my guess.  It happens to
me from time to time, leading to momentary confusion.  When you
disconnect your wired connection, type this (assuming eth0 is your
wired interface):

  ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 down

then configure your wireless interface:

  iwconfig eth1 essid foo
  ifconfig eth1 ...
  route add default via ...

Just try to tell me that isn't your problem.  I dare you!

seniorr at aracnet.com