[PLUG] A Different Wireless Connection Question

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Tue Oct 23 04:58:11 UTC 2007

At 22 Oct 2007 21:03:47 -0700,
Russell Senior wrote:

> Rich> [...]  What have I missed here, or what step should I take to figure
> Rich> out why it's not connecting? Obviously, /etc/resolv.conf is the
> Rich> same regardless of the interface and connection via cat5 or air.
>
> Call me a genius if you want.  I won't argue.  But here is your
> problem.  You have two interfaces on the same network.  Your packets
> are going out the wrong one.  Anyway, that's my guess.  It happens to
> me from time to time, leading to momentary confusion.  When you
> disconnect your wired connection, type this (assuming eth0 is your
> wired interface):
>
>   ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 down
>
> then configure your wireless interface:
>
>   iwconfig eth1 essid foo
>   ifconfig eth1 ...
>   route add default via ...
>
> Just try to tell me that isn't your problem.  I dare you!
>

> --
> Russell Senior         ``I have nine fingers; you have ten.''
> seniorr at aracnet.com

You've always been a genius in my book, Russell.  How many times have
you bailed me out when I had lisp questions?  But I digress, for I've
had a few beers.  I just want to say that my money is on you ($10, $20
tops), because it's the classic "vpn into work and then hit a
wan-accessible work website and watch it choke" play.