[PLUG] remote power-cycling?

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 04:31:44 UTC 2007

# from Russell Senior
# on Thursday 25 October 2007 13:15:

>Is there anything serial/usb/network
>interfaceable on the planet that would do the trick for, say, under
>$50?  under $100?

Solid-state opto-isolated relay and a usb-serial dongle?  I'll be
building myself a few "real soon now"

There are IIRC, some ethernet-enabled pic devices for around $50, but I
haven't looked at how the interfacing is done.

I think the Asian retail market has quite a bit in terms of
usb-controlled power strips, but I can't seem to find anything about
them in English.

--Eric
--
The only thing that could save UNIX at this late date would be a new $30
shareware version that runs on an unexpanded Commodore 64.