[PLUG] Docking Station! was: Right angle cat6

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Oct 26 06:22:03 UTC 2007

Russell> All this brainstorming has got me thinking of the *perfect*
Russell> solution.  Strip the outer jacket off of some cat6, crimp a
Russell> tip on, make a right angle bend with the now-quite-flexible
Russell> wires, and then hoop-staple the loose pairs along the edge of
Russell> the case to the back, where you can hot-glue a keystone jack.

Ronald> <http://www.google.com/search?q=Cat+6+bend+radius>

Ronald> I've seen networks crippled by 20-30% throughput by people
Ronald> "neatening" their connections, throwing harsh right angles
Ronald> into the mix, or cramming/crimping them all together with zip
Ronald> ties, or using poor lengths for patch cords (etc. etc.). It's
Ronald> fairly counter-intuitive, and meaningless for idle
Ronald> net-surfing, but if you really need to squeeze *every last
Ronald> drop* out of your cables, it's nice to know the dark arts (aka
Ronald> "standards based on science") for cable handling.

And this argues against my hoop staple idea exactly how?!

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net