[PLUG] Lenovo T61 and Intel 4965 wireless

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Oct 26 07:27:00 UTC 2007

On 25 Oct 2007 23:11:58 -0700
Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> dijo:

> John> So T61 users, does your wireless work? If so, what
> John> distro/architecture do you have? What is the wireless chipset
> John> (mine is Intel 4965)? I need more suggestions.
>
> Wireless drivers are under heavy development right now.  I am not sure
> what distributions are doing with that development at the moment
> (whether they are using it or not) because I use vanilla kernels and
> mostly atheros radios (not intel, like yours).  I read something
> recently on the linux-wireless mailing list about how someone cured an
> association problem by scanning manually (iwlist <iface> scan).  I
> have no idea whether that will help you.

That sort of worked. Except it didn't get me anywhere. :(

I am at home right now and the only wireless networks are a few
neighbors. Still, in the past, using the Ubuntu GUI, the networks would
be visible in the dr\op-down list from network-manager. That was using
the old computer with Feisty amd64 and ndiswrapper with the Broadcom
4306 chip.

Running "iwlist wlan0 scan" I can see the neighbors:

jjj at Devil7:~$ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0     Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 00:19:E4:4A:80:A1
                    ESSID:"2WIRE656"
                    Mode:Master
                    Channel:6
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Quality=35/100  Signal level=-88 dBm  Noise
level=-127 dBm Encryption key:on
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
                              9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
                              48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
                    Extra:tsf=00000017787163c3
and so on for the rest of the neighbors.

However, when I go into the GUI the dropdown does not function. It used
to show all the available networks, whether I had a password to connect
to them or not. Now the dropdown button just does nothing. Having said
that, the three times I have been able to get wireless working, the
dropdown did work. I think the problem is in the Gutsy GUI tool.

I also found a post on Ubuntu:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=587922&highlight=thinkpad+wireless

I posted a followup, but no responses so far.

Thanks for the "iwlist <iface> scan" line. At least it proves that the
wireless is working, the drivers are working, and it can see other
wireless networks. Why I can't actually connect to any of them (e.g.,
at PSU) is the remaining question.

I should add that I added a gnome tray icon for the wireless. It sits
there constantly with a red X through it.