[PLUG] Docking Station! was: Right angle cat6

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Sat Oct 27 02:52:12 UTC 2007

On Oct 25, 2007, at 11:22 PM, Russell Senior wrote:

> Russell> All this brainstorming has got me thinking of the *perfect*
> Russell> solution.  Strip the outer jacket off of some cat6, crimp a
> Russell> tip on, make a right angle bend with the now-quite-flexible
> Russell> wires......
> Ronald> <http://www.google.com/search?q=Cat+6+bend+radius>
> And this argues against my hoop staple idea exactly how?!

I trimmed it a tad. *Right angles* are fine within a reasonable bend
radius. Too harsh of a bend, and signal quality degrades. Hoop
staples can be great as long as they don't damage the wire.

Again, my caveat:
"It's fairly counter-intuitive, and meaningless for idle net-surfing,
but if you really need to squeeze *every last drop* out of your
cables..."

Most people really don't need to squeeze those drops, as they have
bigger fish to fry when it comes to their speed issues, but when I
worked for a digital pre-press company in the late '90's (that was
*paying* people to essentially watch progress bars all day long), I
was tasked with doing everything I could that could result in as
*little* of a 2-3% speed boost, as it was essentially a 2-3% increase
in profit.

Totally unrelated to cabling, but indicative of the many
"improvements" employed, chasing that tiny margin: Paperclips were
bent, and used to jam down the space bar, because it was discovered
that printing speeds improved 40-80% when the program currently
printing was the foreground task, and was being doled out more CPU
cycles to receive the 'spacebar' events (Co-operative multi-tasking a
la Mac OS 7-9 had some nice side benefits as times... like being able
to deny other tasks CPU).

Bringing this back on topic, it's also when I started transitioning
from using DG/UX on big iron servers to Linux on small iron servers.
Compared to DG/UX (and our AIX-on-early-PPC box), RedHat 4 and RedHat
5 on x86 were a total *dream* to administer and configure. (Note: not
RHEL, not fedora.... just "RedHat")

-Bop