[PLUG] Modem setup for Chuck Metzger

doctorbonner at comcast.net doctorbonner at comcast.net
Mon Oct 29 01:48:13 UTC 2007

Original Message:
-----------------
From: John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:34:14 -0700
To: plug at lists.pdxlinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Modem setup for Chuck Metzger

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 13:00:00 -0700
"Tony Rick" <tonyr42 at gmail.com> dijo:

> Whoever helped him set up a 'green telephone'  icon on the upper tool bar
> that did that directly.
>  I suspicion that it was Aaron who helped.

I dimly remember helping someone put a telephone icon on their top
panel in Gnome. However, it was after someone else helped him get the
modem working. And I have no recollection of how I got the icon
connected to the dialing properties. May I suggest that you look in
System > Administration > Network > Modem Connection (select Modem
Connection, then on the Properties button). Navigating through the
screens should lead to a place where you can enter the telephone
number. I think the icon just goes to the (only) modem. Once you change
the dialing properties for the modem the icon should work as before.

I don't want to interrupt, but there is an easy solution for Debian and
Ubuntu Feisty or Gutsy. It is a gnome desktop applet for pppconfig called
ppptray, and you can get it at http://www.getdeb.net/