[PLUG] Modem setup for Chuck Metzger

Tony Rick tonyr42 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 02:28:44 UTC 2007

On 10/28/07, Tony Rick <tonyr42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/28/07, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > I dimly remember helping someone put a telephone icon on their top
> > panel in Gnome. However, it was after someone else helped him get the
> > modem working. And I have no recollection of how I got the icon
> > connected to the dialing properties. May I suggest that you look in
> > System > Administration > Network > Modem Connection (select Modem
> > Connection, then on the Properties button). Navigating through the
> > screens should lead to a place where you can enter the telephone
> > number. I think the icon just goes to the (only) modem. Once you change
> > the dialing properties for the modem the icon should work as before.
>

> Thanks, John, for reminding me of the obvious (sez tony, smacking his
> forehead
> with the heel of his hand, or 'Doh!')
>
> - tony

Well, it was a great suggestion, but no help.   Chuck said he already
tried that to no avail.  The Network Modem Connection settings
are associated with the standard Gnome-ppp app and config.
The second dialer setup using wvdial directly, whatever it is, is a complete
end-run.  I think that's why I suspected a direct invocation
of wvdial with an independent configuration.  I was hoping against
hope that someone would remember this particular instance.

Thanks for the contributions, people.  I think Chuck is just going to
wait for the next Clinic.

- tony