[PLUG] Modem setup for Chuck Metzger

doctorbonner at comcast.net doctorbonner at comcast.net
Mon Oct 29 02:44:33 UTC 2007

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Tony Rick tonyr42 at gmail.com
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 19:28:44 -0700
To: plug at lists.pdxlinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Modem setup for Chuck Metzger

On 10/28/07, Tony Rick <tonyr42 at gmail.com> wrote:

>Well, it was a great suggestion, but no help.   Chuck said he already
>tried that to no avail.  The Network Modem Connection settings
>are associated with the standard Gnome-ppp app and config.
>The second dialer setup using wvdial directly, whatever it is, is a
complete
>end-run.  I think that's why I suspected a direct invocation
>of wvdial with an independent configuration.  I was hoping against
>hope that someone would remember this particular instance.

>Thanks for the contributions, people.  I think Chuck is just going to
>wait for the next Clinic.

I do hate to keep interjecting myself into other people's threads, but I
recently went through exactly the same frustrations while attempting to
configure my son's laptop for internet access via a serial modem.  Nothing
on the standard Ubuntu Edgy seemed to work, not the the system -->
administration --> networking, not the wvdial, NADA!  Then I tried
pppconfig and voila!  It worked like a charm.  Of course, it involved a
little cli (of which I'm a novice but not a n00b), but it fired up and
connected flawlessly the very first time.

--Terry