[PLUG] Modem setup for Chuck Metzger

Tony Rick tonyr42 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 04:00:04 UTC 2007

On 10/28/07, doctorbonner at comcast.net <doctorbonner at comcast.net> wrote:

> I do hate to keep interjecting myself into other people's threads,

The thread doesn't belong to any one.   All relevant comments are  welcome,
and, in fact, encouraged.

but I
> recently went through exactly the same frustrations while attempting to
> configure my son's laptop for internet access via a serial modem.  Nothing
> on the standard Ubuntu Edgy seemed to work, not the the system -->
> administration --> networking, not the wvdial, NADA!  Then I tried
> pppconfig and voila!  It worked like a charm.  Of course, it involved a
> little cli (of which I'm a novice but not a n00b), but it fired up and
> connected flawlessly the very first time.

I'm pretty sure that pppconfig would work, and thanks for the
suggestion.   That's not the issue.  I'm helping someone else.  His modem
works.
The dialer has been working.  The ISP changed the dial-in number.  All he
wants to do is change the number  on his machine wherever it is specified.
He doesn't
know where that is.  Someone at the Linux Clinic set it up for him,
apparently using 'wvdial'.  My original question was whether anybody who
goes to the Clinic
remembered setting it up for him so that I could get a handle on where the
number
might be on his machine.  It was not 'How can we get the modem to work?'.

- tony