[PLUG] web-based invoicing app suggestions

Kurt Sussman plug at merlot.com
Mon Oct 29 18:53:44 UTC 2007

I need to set up a simple invoicing app for simultaneous use by 3-4
people. I have been in charge of checkout for the wine-tasting event at
my daughter's school for three years, and my solution has failed to work
properly every time. We haven't lost any invoices, but the 'manualarity'
of the process increased dramatically as the software failed.

So I'm looking for suggestions. We'll have 40 items for sale, and no
inventory. I need to import about 400 names and addresses, and if it can
capture credit card info, great. If not we can handle that separately.

I need to print a clean, simple, complete invoce on the spot, and
reporting by buyer and by item ordered will be required. There are
really no other requirements. Enter a list of items and quantities,
print an invoice, repeat. Fast entry of invoice items (via lookup of the
40 items that will be pre-entered) seems like it should be easy.

I've looked at a few allegedly multi-user Windows apps, but they all
seem to be based on the Access engine, which is not reliable in my
too-extensive experience. I looked at the invoice pages on SQL-Ledger,
and they seem to be for a single item. I don't mind the complexity of a
full GL package as long as invoice entry is simple.

Payware sites are probably not an option, since our margins are thin
enough as it is. We could maybe buy software this time as long as it
will be useful for any and all future fundraising events. I would prefer
something free, obviously. I have server space to set up anything that
runs on Linux. I can run Windows in a VM on my laptop (KVM is pretty
cool!) if it comes to that, but that would be really icky.

Suggestions?

TIA!

--Kurt