[PLUG] Victor is going through the book Linux System Administration

Eli Stair eli.stair at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 06:07:11 UTC 2007

Assuming you've got your IP addresses handed out by your
gateway/router device, you could either set up a reservation by MAC
address so you don't have to worry about your local IP changing, or
set up an alias for the ethernet device.

Easier, assuming you've using a standard ethernet device, setting up
an alias (which just gives you another IP on the same physical NIC) is
as simple as:

  # ifconfig eth0:0 192.x.x.x

Added bonus: neither of these will open your system up to the net more
than "normal", vs. creating a routeable static IP on the box providing
services you're testing.

/eli