[PLUG] Victor is going through the book Linux System Administration

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 06:10:57 UTC 2007

On 9/4/07, Eric Wilhelm <scratchcomputing at gmail.com> wrote:
> # from Victor Soich
> # on Tuesday 04 September 2007 10:28 pm:
>
> >Essentially, what the cheapest way for me to get and play with a
> >static IP address?
>
> The ifconfig command will do it for free.  Of course, if you're on the
> internet and somebody else owns that address, they may very well show
> up at your door without any beer.
>
> A routable static IP address will cost you, but if you just want to play
> with Linux and static IP's, setup a couple of computers on an ethernet
> switch.

Looking at it that way.  You are right.  For learning or playing around.
 Just set up your computers on a switch using
your own static IP addresses.  Your router won't care if you don't
talk to it.  Just
don't try to route your chosen static IP addresses out to the Internet.
IP addresses in the 10.x.x.x range should get dropped at the first
router outside of
your network.

If you need to learn about routing then you could still do the same
and learn about NAT
at the same time.