[PLUG] Bizarre network problem

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 13:46:40 UTC 2007

I ran into a very strange network problem. I was setting up a wireless
bridge (I don't think the "wireless" part is important), so there is
what I have:

Wireless bridge - 192.168.1.37
Bridge is connected to a switch, into the switch I plug these:
PC - 192.168.1.16
Tivo - 192.168.1.25
Laptop - 192.168.1.241

>From the laptop, I can ping PC, Tivo, and the bridge, so everything on
the wired part is connected.
>From the PC, I can ping laptop and Tivo but not bridge. The difference
seems to be in arp requests. When I ping bridge from laptop, tcpdump
shows this:

arp who-has 192.168.1.37 tell 192.168.1.241
arp reply 192.168.1.37 is-at 00:18:02:74:94:35

When I ping bridge from PC, tcpdump shows repeated who-has line but
the reply never comes.

They are all connected into the same switch (wired), they are all on
the same net, they use the same network and mask
192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0, why one works and one doesn't?

--
Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net