[PLUG] Comcast, books, IP addresses - (was) Victor ...

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Wed Sep 5 18:14:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 07:51:30AM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> Old laptops (the $100 Craig's list kind) make great firewall
> routers.  A >150MHz >100Mb machine is plenty, and cosmetics,

Heck, 150 MHz is luxury. I just retired an ancient Dell P100 laptop
which had served admirably as my router for several years. Hardware
that old can often be found for free.

> The real problem with using a server on Comcast is that they can
> (and sometimes do) block ports, and they are entitled to NAT you
> and provide you with non-routable IP addresses.  You can still
> surf the web, but you can't run any incoming services, even

Comcast doesn't block anything out here in Hillsboro, and the IP
addresses they assign are perfectly routable.  At least, that's what
I've been told.

--
Paul