[PLUG] install to external HD, use as internal?

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 18:30:12 UTC 2007

On 09/06/2007 12:04 PM, Kurt Sussman wrote:
> I want to install Linux (probably Debian, not relevant I think) to an
> external disk in my office, then replace the internal drive in a remote
> server with this disk (after rsyncing data, of course).
>
> What do I need to watch out for? If I use labels instead of devices, it
> shouldn't matter that the disk is e.g. /dev/sdh as an external (USB)
> disk but /dev/sda when it's internal, right?

I did this just today, except instead of installing, I was cloning.
Labels worked great for me.  Three places that needed changing after
cloning:

- the filesystem(s) -- use tune2fs or e2label
- /etc/fstab
- /boot/grub/menu.lst

Made the changes, installed the drives, worked great.

You can also use UUIDs.  To generate one use uuidgen.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Regards,
- Robert