[PLUG] SATA hot swap

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 17:20:11 UTC 2007

# from Keith Lofstrom
# on Saturday 08 September 2007 08:56 am:

>Are any of you running SATA drives?  Do you know whether they can be
>hotswapped in Linux,

Yes.  There's no documentation on how to do it because it "just works."

If the sata controller supports it, it is just as easy as usb.  Onboard
controllers may not.  You'll know you got a lemon controller when the
machine locks up.

>perhaps with some "hdparm" action before and after?

If your controller doesn't hotplug, the 'warmplug' mechanism seems to be
`scsiadd` -- though you only really get to add it.  I think I managed
to remove a drive from my junky onboard controller once without the
machine hanging, but repeated warmplugging seems unstable.

--Eric
--
"Insert random misquote here"