[PLUG] Comcast, books, IP addresses - (was) Victor ...

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Sat Sep 8 18:12:13 UTC 2007

Sean Whitney wrote:
> Naw they are full duplex 100MB 4port ethernet cards.  This is still cheaper.
> Does the linksys offer a remote reboot option through a serial port?
> Can I hook that up to a 56k modem and manage it remotely?  That would be
> cool.

Well, it supports SSH which, IMO, is better then dialing into a device.
  As for remote reboot, you could reboot it via command line while
logged in.  But if it's because you're firewall is locking up alot then
there are bigger problems?

I use late model P3's for firewalls myself.  Like you, but not Sun.  But
my firewall/gateways generally go beyond basics and into proxy, content
filtering, and AV scanning.  If I didn't have those needs, the low power
WRT54G's running OpenWRT or DDWRT would be perfect and inexpensive.

--
- m0gely