[PLUG] Virtual Machine won't start

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Mon Sep 17 16:36:56 UTC 2007

First, thank you, Kieth and Aaron, for all the assistance at the clinic,
yesterday. Sadly, nothing that we did yesterday works, today.

Yesterday we tried to get sound working on the virtual machine (Win98).
We were unable to communicate between the virtual machine and the host
machine, and we assumed it was because of the change in the host
machine's IP address while at the clinic. When I got home, I restored
the host machine's IP address to the one I usually use, and then tried
to start up the virtual machine so I could move the sound driver file to
the virtual file system, and then install it.

I can start VMware Server Console, and I can connect to the host. When I
try to open the virtual machine, I am presented with the list of
possible machines, and select the only one that has ever been there.
Normally, the next thing that happens is that the virtual machine's
window in VMware Server goes black for a moment, and then some boot-up
messages appear. Eventually, the virtual machine boots with Win98.

Now, I only get as far as the black window. The "Power On" button in the
VMware Server Console is grayed out, but the green triangle is blinking.
It appears that it is hung, but I have no idea what to do next.

Ideas?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens