[PLUG] Kooka Help

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Mon Sep 17 17:30:58 UTC 2007

Yesterday at the clinic (again, thanks for all the help) we got my
scanner working with Kooka. Today, I can't find the buttons that were
there, yesterday. It looks just like it did when we started. I played
around with it awhile, but I don't know what I did that caused the
"Final Scan" and "Preview Scan" buttons to appear. From the Kooka help
doc, it appears that those buttons are part of the Scanner Settings
section of the Preview panel. My Preview panel doesn't have the Scanner
Settings section.

Also, when I click on "Settings" "Select Scan Device", nothing happens.

lsscsi returns:

[0:0:2:0]    scanner EPSON    Perfection600    V2.4  -

I did have to restart the machine to get that, though. Just like
yesterday, the scanner has to be powered up before booting, or the
computer won't see that it's there. And, it has to be powered up fairly
early in the boot process. When I powered up the machine for the first
time after coming home yesterday, I _remembered_ that I needed to power
up the scanner just after hitting the power button on the computer. I
walked around to where I could reach the scanner's power switch, and
turned it on -- elapsed time about 4-5 seconds. I had to reboot in order
for lsscsi to report the presence of the scanner.

Running through the YaST process to add the scanner I select from the list:

Epson Perfection 600: Driver umax (package sane) provides good
functionality. [OK SCSI-ID=EPSON Perfection600]

...and I get...

Driver	Scanner
umax	EPSON Perfection600 at umax:/dev/sg0

One of the YaST buttons, at this point in the process, is "Other". Other
includes "Test", which successfully tests the scanner (I heard the
motor, in addition to seeing the results of the successful test).

But, in spite of all that apparent success, I still can't figure out how
to get Kooka to see the scanner.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens