[PLUG] Resolved: Virtual Machine won't start

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Mon Sep 17 18:48:31 UTC 2007

Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> I can start VMware Server Console, and I can connect to the host. When I
> try to open the virtual machine, I am presented with the list of
> possible machines, and select the only one that has ever been there.
> Normally, the next thing that happens is that the virtual machine's
> window in VMware Server goes black for a moment, and then some boot-up
> messages appear. Eventually, the virtual machine boots with Win98.
>
> Now, I only get as far as the black window. The "Power On" button in the
> VMware Server Console is grayed out, but the green triangle is blinking.
> It appears that it is hung, but I have no idea what to do next.

I tried editing the virtual machine settings. I changed Sound Adapter
from Auto detect to Using device /dev/dsp, and the clicked OK. I got a
message about creating a new UUID (I think that was the acronym). The
message said that if I wasn't sure if I needed a new one, go ahead and
create a new one. I did. Then I successfully started the virtual machine.

Still not sure what was wrong, but it works, now.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens