[PLUG] A Valuable Lesson on Using Proprietary Video Drivers

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 17 23:09:15 UTC 2007

   I pulled a really bone-head move while logged in remotely to my
workstation/server from my notebook. After successfully killing the
application that hung hard and prevented me from changing to a console to
kill it, I became distracted by a telephone call and halted the server
rather than the notebook. Not a stellar start to the week.

   But, what rubbed salt into that wound was the disappearance of the nvidia
video driver module. Gone. Kaput. Not to be found. Could not start X, and
modprobe could not find the nvidia driver, either. Fortunately, I saved the
downloaded .run file, but I had to go through the entire installation again,
including having it build all the modules.

   That's rather strange, but it's what happened. As I'm not used to using
such modules, I don't know if this is normal for the genre, or if I was just
lucky to hit the system at the right moment.

Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |         Accelerators(TM)