[PLUG] Resolved (I think): cron question

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Sep 21 14:09:16 UTC 2007

Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> Richard C. Steffens wrote:
>> The test lines Michael recommended:
>>
>> 1,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * *
>> /home/rsteff/ShellScripts/x10-lights-on.sh
>>
>> 3,7,12,17,22,27,32,37,42,47,52,57 * * * *
>> /home/rsteff/ShellScripts/x10-lights-off.sh
>>
>> just started working. Maybe it's fixed.
>
> That would imply it was never broken, or you did something in the meantime.
> The idea behind my suggestion was to give lots of opportunity to watch the
> event occur.  Your original lines would only trigger a light on/off once a
> day.

The test lines I added at your recommendation probably never were
broken. The lights in question are not in the same room as this
computer. I notice when the living room light goes on because it has a
compact fluorescent bulb in it, and thus has to have an X10 appliance
module instead of a lamp module, and the relay in the appliance module
makes an audible click when it switches. I probably just didn't notice
it while I was concentrating on understanding what I was doing. Once I
did notice it, I noticed that it was working every few minutes.

I suspect Jeme's idea of not having a newline character was the problem
with my first test. I can't prove it now, but I'm pretty sure there
wasn't one until I changed the test to run every few minutes. That makes
more sense than my guess that cron took a few minutes to register the
change, and I had only left one between the time I made the change and
the time it was supposed to take effect.

I guess I'll really know this evening when the lights come on at 6:30.

Thanks to all for you help.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens