[PLUG] cron question

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Sat Sep 22 02:36:31 UTC 2007

Jeme A Brelin writes:
 > > I guess I'll have to wait for some odd e-mail to turn up. There's not
 > > much going on in that file, anyway.
 >
 > You can always test it.  All standard output from cron goes to the mailto
 > recipient (or the user whose crontab requires the action).  You can just
 > do something like:
 > * * * * * echo "This worked, right?"
 >
 > Or something like that.  The idea is clear, I think.

If you have a .forward file in the user's home directory, and it
contains a list of email addresses, cron will deliver to those instead
of (or perhaps in addition to?) the one in the MAILER environment
variable (which is set in /etc/crontab).  This is a handy way to get
the cron mail to multiple recipients.

 > Yeah, it's buried in one of the man pages, but it'll trip you up when
 > adding test lines to the bottom of a crontab.  Best to just leave a blank
 > line at the bottom always (or ten).

If you use vim to edit files, it always puts an EOF at the end,
guaranteed.  In fact, I'd like to know how to turn that off.  Is it
possible?
--
Carlos Konstanski