[PLUG] Nvidia Geforce GPU presentation

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Mon Sep 24 20:02:58 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 09:21:32PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> It was an amazing talk.  The speaker from Nvidia talked about
> the hardware (Ge8800, 128 processing elements, 12,288 simultaneous
> threads, 500 Gflops, 170 watts at full speed) and the software (an
> extended version of C called CUDA, which works by defining a
> processing thread in a routine, input and output data arrays, then
> instructing the CPU/GPU combination to go crunch on it.

Thank you for going and reporting!  I ended up missing that one although
I really wanted to go.  (I felt like it was outside my areas of
interest, but I realize now that power engineers have applications for
parallel computing resources too.)

I'm curious to know what the Itanium guys think of this stuff.

With this and the PlayStation3, it's like Transputer all over again.

I'm gonna guess that programmers, computer scientists and mathematicians
who really get parallelization are becoming a very scarce and valuable
resource, especially in computational chemistry and bioinformatics.

It's a shame nerds don't know how to negotiate good salaries,
  Aaron