[PLUG] resizing vfat filesystem

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 02:53:27 UTC 2007

On 09/24/2007 06:03 PM, Quentin Hartman wrote:
> On 9/24/07, Robert Citek <robert.citek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> dd bs=1M count=30 if=/dev/zero of=vfat.img
>> mkfs.vfat -F 32 vfat.img
>> dd bs=1M count=30 if=/dev/zero >> vfat.img
>> parted vfat.img unit b print        # query
>> parted vfat.img resize 1 0M 62M     # expand
>>

> I think in this case you were either unknowingly relying on a bug in fips,
> or fips was changing the format to FAT12 silently. Parted can only handle
> volumes as small as 33MB, the lower bounds of FAT16/32. If you increase your
> file size, your demo will work.   I just tested it replacing "count=30" with
> "count=300" and everything was shiny, apart from a warning that the volume
> will be converted from FAT32 to FAT16, which for a volume that size is the
> "right" thing to do.

That seemed to work.  I didn't even get the message you mention.  Here's
what I did:

dd bs=1M count=300 if=/dev/zero of=vfat.img
mkfs.vfat -F 32 vfat.img
dd bs=1M count=300 if=/dev/zero >> vfat.img
parted vfat.img unit b print         # query
parted vfat.img resize 1 0M 500M     # expand

Now to spend some time finding the lower limits of what works.  And
finding an easy way to query the filesystem size and not just the
partition size, which I know from the image size.

Thanks for your help, Quentin.

Regards,
- Robert