[PLUG] Local Python Help?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 27 22:52:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Quentin Hartman wrote:

> This is used to import modules and their assorted classes, not move
> instances of those objects (AKA variables and their contents) around.
> Remember that python is fully object-oriented, so your "variable" is an
> instance of an object of some kind. In order to look at the value of that
> object, the object itself needs to be passed to some other object that was
> created with your other module.

Quentin,

   That's just what I was trying to do.

> How I do things like this is that I have a sort of wrapper script that
> imports all the modules I need to work with, and then the various objects
> that are created for the program are handed around within that wrapper.
> Usually, I create  a new instance of the object I want (a page) with the
> object that has the data I want as an argument to that object. For a decent
> example for how this works in python look at http://www.evolt.org/node/449

   I have a generic module called 'config' that holds data I want to share
among modules. Today, I tried using it for this purpose when the imports
failed me, but that didn't work, either. I'll look at your example.

> The Eugene Lug has a python-oriented mailing list. You can sign up for it
> at http://www.euglug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo. It is very low-traffic,
> but several good programmers are on it and I have yet to see a question
> there go unanswered.

   Thank you, I will subscribe. My lack of understanding is related to python
in general, not specifically wxPython, so I did not think my question
appropriate for that mail list.

Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |         Accelerators(TM)