[PLUG] ZoneMinder

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 2 17:32:20 UTC 2008

This is a Web-based application to control video-capture devices, and seems a little tricky to set up. I am attempting to use it with SuSE 10.3.

I have Apache2, MySQL, and ZM daemons all running, and the Web interface opens at http://localhost/zm. However, I'm having trouble getting the capture devices to work. One of them is a bttv-based TV tuner. It shows a caption and the kind of random visual effects of a tuner that is not adjusted for a particular station. The other, a Phillips-based Webcam, flickers from time to time but does not display an image. (That Webcam, however, has kernel support, because it works with Ekiga.)

Has anyone else experienced such a problem, and if so, have they successfully solved it? This seems like a very worthwhile application, if it can be made to work properly.

Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/