[PLUG] The laptop I finally decided on

Pomeroy Lab admin at mindblowingidea.com
Sat Apr 5 00:50:52 UTC 2008

Wow thats a lot of money. This Laptop should be compatible with:

Ultumix, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and other Debian based Distros. It may also work with some RPM based distros.

You will most likely need to remove the internal wireless card and install a GNU/Linux compatible one. I would recommend an ASUS PCMCIA card I like but you probably have PCI Express. I would go with USB.

Alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote: Here is what I finally ordered:

HP dv6700z series

Processor AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology Gold Edition
TL-68 (2.4 GHz, 512KB+512KB L2 Cache )
Display 15.4" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen
Display (1280 x 800)
Memory 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Graphics Card 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
Personalization HP Imprint Finish (Radiance) + Microphone
Networking Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n and Bluetooth
Hard Drive 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Primary CD/DVD Drive FREE Upgrade to LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW
with Double Layer Support!!
Primary Battery 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
HP extended service plans 3-year HP Accidental Damage Protection with Pick
Up and Return

The total was $1792.98