[PLUG] New Motherboard Recomendations

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Mon Apr 7 17:35:15 UTC 2008

Hello Richard,

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 10:22:38AM -0700, Richard Lidzbarski wrote:
> It looks like I'm facing a burned out motherboard; Belmont Computer will
> be giving me the final word on that soon. I'd appreciate some thoughts
> on a good replacement for my year-old MSI board. Reliable,
> Linux-friendly(ish) manufacturer, and compatible with the following are
> my main concerns:
>
> Pentium 4 3Ghz CPU
> ATX case
>
> Is there a manufacturer that has a reputation for quality and Linux
> friendliness?  Thanks.

I've had good luck with Tyan motherboards recently.  They're typically
built more for servers, but there are also some desktop-oriented models
available.  I don't know about the CPU compatability, but you should be
able  to figure that out from their site.  They are well known for their
overall quality, but you also end up paying for that.

HTH,
tim